Sunday, September 7, 2014

Community

This afternoon, never one to get too excited over Opening Day for football, I had the opportunity to congregate with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

The moment we stepped out of the caravan we were immersed in one of the most important aspects of spiritual growth - community. The live music was great not only because of the vocals and acoustic guitar, but because it was allowing members to showcase their talents. The tunes filled the spaces of the atmosphere that weren't vacated by families of diverse demographics to children screaming in joy...and laughing that reminded me I have removed myself too far from that part of childhood and that I need to make sure everyday I am "sucking the marrow out of life." 

The food was, as they say, delish! Dogs, burgers, chicken with sides of pasta salad and baked beans topped off with picnic staples of tea and lemonade. Of course my girls enjoyed the cotton candy (a once, maybe twice, a year treat) along with popcorn and Italian Ice.

I saw some familiar faces while roaming the campus with my girls (my wife was inside the church promoting her Charge 56 class) again giving me a reminder. This time it was how I had finally decided to break free from my introverted shell and  joined a men's group - I haven't talked much in that group, but baby steps. It feels great to walk around and someone extends a hand excited to see you (or even asks about your blog). It makes you feel at home. It makes you realize you're part of something special. A community.

With that said, I leave with some quotes about community.


“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone

across the waters to create many ripples.” 

― Mother Teresa

Afterthought: And those "ripples" can either be advantageous to self-growth and community strength or they can become crashing waves to the health of your well-being.  Those ripples are formed not by the stone that is cast, but rather by intentions the stone is shaped by.

Just thinking out loud.

No comments: