Monday, September 29, 2014

From Point A to Point B


They say...(who is "they" really?) that the quickest way from Point A to Point B is a straight line. I know that that is not an oxy-moron, but I don't know about you, but it seems to me that if you were to follow the bloodline of oxy-morons, somewhere you would see that statement. When is there ever a straight line to anywhere? If you're anything like me, the path that you have taken whether in your life or even in the grocery store tends to look like the picture above.

It reminds me of a very funny Robin Williams quip. He was talking about soap on a rope and zapped right into how Catholics have a Pope on a rope. "Wash with it, and go straight to heaven!"

As Christians we know, or at least should know, that there is one straight path in our lives and that is in fact to heaven via our relationship with Christ. So then why do our paths through life have so many turn-arounds, loops and worst of all...dead-in-your-track stops?

Where is our absence of trust coming from?

In my classroom I have rules. You know, the usual that I'm not going bore you with. My one rule that I tell my class the first day of school every year is, "You are allowed to make mistakes in my classroom. In fact, I welcome them. As long as you...learn from them." Now, just because I state a rule and they agree it's a good one, does that mean they always follow it? Nope.

So when God asks us to trust Him...does that mean we automatically do...each and every time? Nope. It's sad though because people that are not believers or even lazy believers think just by claiming to be a Christian that we're automatically claiming to be perfect. They think we don't mess up or shouldn't mess up. If we do though, we're even worse than nonbelievers committing the same "crime". Hogwash, I say! Rubbish!

The fact is, or it can be at least argued, that we're even more susceptible to sin...to the proverbial juicy, red, crunchy apple . I think we are. Satan has it easy with the nonbelievers. He has them convinced that their bitter lives of judging and complaining are actually okay. It's like a pitcher throwing to a pitcher. You have to wonder if in the back of their minds they are thinking "easy out."

I think sometimes we look in the mirror and claim we're easy-outs. We may not say it out loud, but we think it and that's where the lure gets bitten. We think it. Before long we say it. And somewhere along the way we believe it. We believe we can never overcome our addiction of feeling worthless...not completely worthless, but even just little things. My addiction is overreacting to things and sometimes forgetting I'm a role model for three impressionable girls. But I recognize that addiction, that bad choice and I do exactly what I'm supposed to do. I pray. It works. You may feel your life is like the picture above and that God's answer is taking a lot round-abouts to get to you. But here's another straight path: His answers. Your prayers and His answers are a Point A, Point B scenario. His answers come immediately. And His answers are always for the greater-good.

Trust is a muscle that needs nutrition - a good church, a good community of friends. We know it's a crucial part of our lives just like eating healthy, but with eating a doughnut here and there won't necessarily hurt us. But doubting His love, doubting our trust in Him...is all bait from the enemy.

Here's something that may make you feel reassured: In our lives we choose and travel upon many, many paths. Some are squiggly, some make us hit out heads with the palm of our hand. But along every path that is not His path for us, are more paths that give us an opportunity to get back on the right track. His track. We are never abandoned. We are always forgiven. If point B is your relationship with Christ or if Point B is simply getting to the next stage of your life...you'll get there. Keep your eyes upon Him. Because once we get to Him. It'll all seem as if it was a straight path all along. There's no looking back with Christ. He does not keep records of wrong. He's putting up signs for you to follow. We just have to keep walking with an open heart... a heart willing to take a path that may seem frightening or even pointless at the time. If we're doing our trust exercises, we'll be fine. He promises us that.

1 comment:

carpefabula said...

"Trust is a muscle that needs nutrition - a good church, a good community of friends." I like that, and I need to exercise that part of my spirit. Thanks, Ryan!
~drb