Sunday, September 28, 2014

she saw heaven

9-13-94


Here's another poem from 1994. This time I had the music of U2s Lemon in my head. I originally wrote in all-caps, so I'll stick with that. I remember sitting in my bedroom with my word processor typing this in less than twenty minutes. It was most likely done at the last minute for my creative writing course. I haven't done any editing other than give it a title. I was once proud of these poems years and years ago, but rather embarrassed now. I like the imagery though. 



SHE SAW HEAVEN
SHE HAD THE SPARKLE IN HER EYE
SHE TOUCHED THE CLOUDS
AND THE MOUNTAIN JUST ROLLED BY
SHE SAW ANGELS
THEY GAVE HER THEIR WINGS
NO MORE QUESTIONS WHY

AND SHE WAS STRUCK AND TORTURED BY HER PAST
SHE HAD NOTHING BUT MEMORIES BURIED IN THE WATERS SANDY FLOOR

SHE SAW JESUS
SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO SAY
HE SAID TIME IS NOW STANDING ALONE
I WILL LISTEN TO YOUR WORD
HEAVEN IS ON YOUR SIDE

AND THE SOUNDS OF TRUMPETS SHOUTED OUT TO HER
HIS BRIGHT LIGHT WAS AS COMFORTABLE AS DREAMS ALONG SEASHORES

DREAMING IS WHERE SHE LIVES
DREAMING ESCAPES YOU FROM THE CLAWS OF REALITY
DREAMING IS A NEW LIFE BEGINNING
DREAMING IS WHERE THE TRASH CANS ARE CLEAN
DREAMING IS NOT LIVING NEXT DOOR

WHEN SHE AWAKENS
SHE WILL SEE PEOPLE IN THAT OLD POSITION
AND SHE WILL NOT HELP
HER FEAR IS TOO STRONG           TOO HEAVY FOR HER WINGS TO CARRY
HER HEAD IS SPINNING                 THE MOUNTAINS ARE NOT MOVING
SHE DOES NOT SLEEP                     HER DREAMS DO NOT EXIST

SHE SEES THE FIGURE
HE WALKS THROUGH BRIGHT LIGHT
SHE SEES VISIONS (her wings are spread)
HE TELLS HER HOW TO DREAM
PUT YOUR FEAR INTO ME
I WILL EVAPORATE THE SORROW

SHE FEELS NOTHING BUT SEES EVERYTHING
DROWNING ARE HER  FEAR AND SUFFERING
SHE FEELS THE WARMTH FROM THE GUIDED LIGHT         SHE IS GONNA DREAM

DREAMIN' IS WHERE SHE BLOOMS
DREAMIN' IS WHERE THE MUSIC STOPS BUT THE MELODY KEEPS ON GOING
DREAMIN' IS WHERE BEAUTY HAS NO SHAPE

SHE IS IN HEAVEN
SHE IS NOT DREAMING
SHE'S IN HEAVEN                               DARKNESS IS A GLOWING SHADE
SHE'S NOT DREAMING                      SHE HAS HER OWN PICKET FENCE
                                                                                          TO RUN ALONG

R.S.GRAYBILL

No comments: