Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Passages: Chapter 11

11

  “That’s a dangerous question…on more than one level.”

   “Why? It seems pretty simple to me.” Rolen had a bit of an edge to his voice.

   “Because if I say what I believe…what I feel…then it creates false hope.”

   Rolen picked up his silverware. It clanged on his plate as he laid it down. He stood and took his plate to the sink. More clanging. “Dad said hope is important. He once told me if false hope and misery ever duked it out, hope would be triumphant every time.”

   “There’s a lot of factors involved in false hope.”

          “He told me there’s good in everybody, but just because someone makes bad decisions doesn’t make them bad…there’s still good in them…somewhere. False hope is the same thing. It’s just hope making bad decisions…it doesn’t predict the future.”

          “Then I want you to take what I’m about to say very seriously because there are repercussions, ripples…it can get dark.”

          “Darkness is one lit candle from extinction.”

          “Remember that.”

          “I will.”

          “Keep in mind too that I will not have an answer to your follow-up question.”

          Rolen knew exactly what she meant. He’s had this conversation all planned out for awhile now. He was going to ask it anyway.

          “Rolen, your father…is alive.”

       Rolen inhaled sharply, but remained phlegmatic. The weight left his shoulders in bundles and his mother just confirmed what he - wanted to believe. This was ecstatic news, but it was time to get down to business.

          “Where is he?”

No comments: