Sunday, October 12, 2014

Screenplay: The Hallowed

Just tonight I remembered that way back in 1994 I 
had found this program called Script Buddy online 
that helps you plan out your screenplay. It took me 
awhile to remember the name of the site, but it finally 
came to me and thankfully I was still able to access 
it. If you have read my Grace Leads Home novel you 
know there's a mysterious cabin in that too. So it's funny 
that six years before the GLH screenplay was born, I had 
started this one with an eerie cabin in it as well. It 
reminds me of Stephen King's It. I have never 
read that book, but certainly was creeped out by the movie.

March 1994

EXT. THE MEADOW - NIGHT
                      CADE (WIPING FOREHEAD)
I don't remember this place being
so dirty. How'd we ever stay at
this place for as long as we did?
                      JP (LOOKING OUT INTO A FIELD OF BROWN CORN STALKS)
I think it was the shear eerieness
this place has.
                      CADE (CARRYING A FEW PIECES OF WOOD)
I suppose. I'm still convinced
most of those things we saw were
just pranks by Hayden and his
buddies.
                      JP (TURNING AWAY FROM THE FIELD FOR THE FIRST TIME IN AWHILE)
Maybe. (he shines the flashlight
in Cade's direction) We wet our
pants an awful lot though.
                      CADE (TRYING TO AVOID THE LIGHT)
You're not kidding. I seriously
intentionally packed extra
underwear before coming down here.
Damn, we were brave.
                      JP (CONFUSED)
You packed extra underwear?
                      CADE (SURPRISED HE'S EVEN ASKING)
Well...yeah. I mean...didn't you?
                      JP (LAUGHING)
If I did, I can promise you it's
not for those reasons.
                      CADE
You have to admit there were
nights that the last thing we
wanted to do was close our eyes
for more than second.

2.
                      JP
This place always seemed to have
(pause) this mystery around it. I
could never figure it out.
                      CADE
That's what makes it so
intriguing.
Anything that happened here you
know you couldn't explain it to
anyone else. It'd sound too
unbelievable.
                      JP
To be honest with you, most of
things that happened here, I
completely forgot about. It wasn't
until just a couple of hours ago
that my mind became haunted by
everything.
                      CADE
I know what you mean. Until now
all those things didn't seem so
bad. I mean it was fifteen years
ago. We were just kids. As adults
we know it was just letting our
minds play tricks on us.
                      JP
We know it was more than that.
                      CADE (AGREEING)
I need a drink.
                      JP
They're still in the car. I have
sodas mostly.
                      CADE
Any beer?
                      JP
No man, I don't drink anymore.

3.
                      CADE (IN SHOCK)
Since when?
                      JP
Since uh, a certain someone told
me to quit doing certain habits
that are dibilitating our
marriage.
                      CADE
Lynn made you stop drinking
period?
                      JP
She didn't make me do anything.
She gave me an altamadum. So I
quit immediately, which was hard,
but I managed. It turned out the
alcohol wasn't the entire problem.
                      CADE (SHOCKED)
She left you?
                      JP
She divorced me. And the odd thing
is, I don't blame her.
                      CADE
I'm sorry man. I guess now I know
why you called me up and asked to
come down here.
                      JP
As soon as she walked out the
door, this is the first place I
thought of. Isn't that weird? I
mean, it was like an immediate
comfort. Why is that?
                      CADE
This place has a hold us JP. We
were drawn back here which makes
it all the more eerie.


FADE OUT.

No comments: