Friday, November 21, 2014

39 Clues (For a Better Life): 16-20

In no way do I consider myself a life coach. However, in light of turning 39 this past week (and of course my wife had to remind that  I am in my 40th year) I have created a list of what I think are wise decisions we can implement in our lives - all for the sake of ongoing improvement and a sustained quality of happiness and joy.These are in no particular order. 



16. Remember this little math problem: Intentions - Action = SQUAT!

I know this is something I need to work on myself. But, recognizing the problem is an integral piece in becoming our true selves. I pray for opportunities to be a blessing to others and wouldn't you know it, they come! Grab hold and start being a blessing and an inspiration to others. And as always...please share!

17. Perform a Random Act of Kindness (RAK). Be the one to start the Drive-Thru chain of paying for the person behind you. I'm rarely ever in the drive-thru, so I'll be on the lookout for other ways I can perform acts of kindness. Whether planned or random, if it's from the heart then it's all for the greater good.

Side Thought: I often tell myself that when I am blessed with more money it is then I will be giving and generous. But you don't need a lot of anything to be either of those things.


18. Have a family game and/or movie night. I mean a true family movie night...like the ones you may have had when you were younger. No devices. No distractions. If you have little ones like I do, snuggle up and watch a classic like Wizard of Oz. I remember family movie night growing up. It was when VCRs were relatively new and we would sit in our unfinished basement and watch a lot of Disney Classics such The Love Bug and The Gnome Mobile...with popcorn of course! Lots of popcorn! My brothers and I still love remembering those good old days. Remember Disney's Sunday Night at the Movies?! Oh, I wish they had those on DVD. Are you telling me nobody would buy The B.R.A.T. Patrol?! I'm talking classic film-making here!

19. Pray with your kids. My mom says I used to talk her ear off at bedtime. My mind was was always deep and analytic. Creative. I don't remember any of those conversations other than the fact we had them, but I do remember saying The Lord's Prayer many, many nights. Such a powerful prayer. If you're not sure how or why it is, read Larry Kreider's Building a House of Prayer. It's a prayer that recognizes the intimate relationship we were meant to have with our Father in heaven. I know people that recite that prayer each and every morning and it wakes them up more than their coffee does.

20. Encourage others. If you're not uplifting to those around you...what are you? This doesn't always have to be a positive comment or even a physical show of praise such as a hug or a pat on the back. With your children, it can also be planting a seed. Just last night I told my girls how proud of them I was for helping put together bags of food for the homeless. Not only did I verbally praise and hug them I planted a seed. It's something I hope they will never forget. They were an important part of something. 

No comments: