Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A to Z: B (for B!)

If you know me, even a smidgen, you know I'm a huge fan of U2 and that their lead singer is due my gratitude for inspiring me to see what I could offer the world as a writer. Bono is not just a great songwriter. He's a great writer. Period. While recovering from a very bad bicycling accident, he wrote an incredible A to Z list about 2014. Google it. Read it. It's truly great. Humble. Honest. Sincere.

It sparked an idea. So I'm beginning a new writing endeavor. I'm launching myself into the unknown. Which is to say I have not thought this out. It may be about 2014. Or about 2015. It may just be about me...not like that though, but rather the intricate parts that make me...me - for better, for worse.

B is for Bailey (Amazing) Grace

We call her, B. When she was very little and got fussy, for some bizarre reason, my singing would quiet her down. I've actually sung a lot to my girls in their short lives. No judgment, so it's quite enjoyable. At that time, B's older sister, Madison was a toddler and enjoyed watching Sesame Street's All-Star Alphabet...a lot! The song for the letter K was one that stuck in my head. "Kah Kah Kah K! K is for Kite that will blow me away!" Or something like that. So during one of her fussy moments, I changed the words, but (attempted) to keep the tune. I'd stand her up on my lap and sing, "Bah Bah Bah B, Bah Bah Bah B! B is for Bailey, she's my baby!" Not only did she stop fussing, but a nickname was created and stuck ever since. Even her sisters call her B.


Both my wife and I have relatives with the name Grace. And although Bailey wasn't named after anyone in particular (we just like the name) it's nice to know it is in fact a family name. 

With each daughter, I made sure the first song they heard post birth canal was a U2 song. (I'm sensing you aren't surprised by this.) Ashamedly, I cannot remember B's U2 song. I'm pretty sure it's Grace, but I'm not certain. I do remember singing and playing, Get on Your Boots, for her every time she was eating in her high-chair (with her orange nose from all the carrots). When your one-year old sings out, "Hey, Hey, Hey!", and raises the roof, it melts your heart. Trust me on this one.

In the song, Grace, from their spiritual-enhanced, All That you Can't Leave Behind album, Bono sings, Grace, it's a name of a girl. It's also a thought that changed the world." That's the real reason I liked Grace for her middle name. Not because it was a U2 song, but because it truly is a thought that changed the world. The way I see it, Bailey's middle name comes from what Christ did for us on the cross.

Bailey is a sweet, sensitive child with a laugh that just makes having kids worth it. Don't take that wrong way. I'm just saying, with all of the stress that comes along with having children, her laugh makes you forget all of that. With the laughter comes a great amount of sensitivity. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is hard to find a balance on how to approach it. We need sensitive people, but not ones that channel that into bombarding bellyaches on social media. I admit I struggle with teaching her the balance of how the appropriate way to act is. It stems from me being sensitive myself as a child and it's one part of of my childhood that I severely dislike. So part of my impatience comes from not wanting her (or any of my daughters) to be like me.

She's a special girl and will grow up to do wonderful things. I have no doubt of this. She'll be an infusion of joy and blessing to those around her. B loves arts and crafts and loves to sing. I'm pretty sure she has Songs of Innocence memorized. On our way home from Pennsylvania a few days ago she asked if I could play that song again...that song being Invisible. Makes her Daddy proud!

I love you, Bailey Grace. You are a blessing to our family. And I love being your daddy!



No comments: