Monday, June 8, 2015

The Book of Questions: 005

The Book of Questions (by: Gregory Stock) is just that - a book of questions. The only answers are the ones we, the reader, come up with on our own in isolation or with a group of friends. These are guaranteed to shift the conversation with loved ones in whole new directions. For me, I decided to take it upon myself to slowly, but surely, go through the entire book.  There are 292 questions. This could take awhile.

Question: Would you rather watch an Olympics that outlawed performance-enhancing drugs or one that embraced them and let athletes use medical pit crews to jack up their performances?

Let's be clear. This question pertains to what you would be more willing to watch and not what should or shouldn't be. That being the case, my answer comes easily. I have never been much of an Olympic spectator. Now that my daughters are old enough to appreciate the competitions I watch for their sake hoping for them to be inspired by the figure skating, gymnasitcs, running or swimming. Plus, it never hurts to promote patriotism for your country.

I love how they're strict with substance abuse policies. I didn't miss A-Rod at all and I hate to tell you this: neither did baseball. Cheaters have no place on the field, court or course. But would I be interested and curious about watching Olympic athletes getting juiced up by their pharmaceutical pit crew? Ignoring, for a moment, the morals of sports and competition as a whole, heck yeah!

It would take me back to my young teenage years when I spent A LOT of time playing Earl Weaver Baseball. I created teams with real MLB players, but may have overindulged when plugging in their stats. Players would get fifteen hits a game - most of them being home runs. I loved my "juiced" up teams.

No comments: