Sunday, September 6, 2015

Shout-Out!: 009

Shout-Outs are a new (well, not so new anymore) addition to my blog. They are to recognize people's accomplishments or to express my gratitude for their good and kind deeds. It's a way to celebrate the little things that may otherwise go unnoticed.

*Updated September 28, 2015

I will put about 5 entries for each post so keep checking back! 

My Go-To

We reached a milestone this weekend. All three of my girls rode bike together both at he middle school track and out front up and down our sidewalk. It's something I imagined for quite awhile. The races and excitement as they share together one of childhood's rites of passages. We're still at the beginning stages so while the older to took seven or eight laps, Sophie, with her "brand new" - used Craigslist bike - an early birthday present - took two. But she had a blast. They all did. Our bike riding hasn't been up to par the last couple of years mostly because they enjoyed their scooters so much. While perusing through the online yard sale via Facebook, I came across a small girls bike and knew I had to get it. I wanted so badly to see the three of them doing laps. There are still training wheels to move pass, but we'll get there. We'll get to the point where they want me to time them to see how fast they can go. And maybe, just maybe I'll be able to get a bike of my own and join them.

All of the bicycling wouldn't have been possible - certainly not as easy - without my go-to, Jeff. Jeff fixed a lagging chain and replaced an inner tube in order to get them up and running. The Craigslist bike was not in "great" condition as advertised, but it's good enough because Sophie will grow out of so quickly. A big shout-out to Jeff for taking some time Saturday morning to help me out...again. A great neighbor and friend.


The Tale of Mercy the Magician's Tiger and Flora the Elephant at the Local Winn-Dixie in the City of Tulane

Okay, that's a horrible heading. I realize this. But, Kate DiCamillo fans will, if not appreciate what I did just then, will at least understand what I did. I combined seven of her titles together. Kate DiCamillo is an extraordinary writer. Her words inspire me - not to mention millions of other fans - every time whether it's a beginning-reader book such as Mercy Watson or a novel of an unlikely hero with big ears. Being a writer myself, she's the type of writer that not makes me doubt my ability, but challenges me to do my best to reach her level. Often I'll read books and know I could do better. The fact of the matter is that I will never reach her heights as a writer. She's just too good and I'm okay with that. If there isn't anyone above you or better than you, then aspirations and challenges of your hobby or profession suffocate. Not only is she an amazing writer, but proved herself to be the salt of the earth yesterday when I got to see her answer questions about her writing and her books. She's definitely someone that I hope to sit down and talk with for hours and hours. Having related to some of her writing style and how she comes up with ideas, I left inspired. I was relieved when she answered a question about writer's block. She said there's no such thing. Just bad writing days. So a Shout-Out to Kate DiCamillo for your inspirational brilliance.

And of course I would probably have never gone into the city if it weren't for my best-pal Dustin who drove from State College, PA, to go to the 15th National Book Festival. Thank you for the miles and miles you drove...and for guiding me through the city.



And I Have 10,000 Visits and I Would Like 10,000 More...


Gotta love The Proclaimers...at least that song. This is a Shout-Out to all my visitors to my blog in the last year. I recently reached 10,000 visits and just within the last couple days surpassed 10,500. Thank you for coming and reading my blog which tends to be mixture of different things. My goal, as you know, is to make writing my full-time (paying) hobby. Right now I'm going on whatever natural talent I have since I can't afford classes that may fine tune those skills. I'm looking forward to becoming better with each piece of writing and sharing that writing with a wide audience. Thank you again and come back soon!

They're Back!

Another shout-out to a family friend whom - along with her family - have shown up on this portion of my blog more than once I believe. My wife finally got around to clearing out some of closet which subsequently left her with a lot of bags filled with a lot of clothes. After being dissed by Plato's Closet (which she did not take very well) the rest of the clothes were given to our friend Holly's daughter to look through. Turns out, Holly's daughter, a hip 16-year-old, liked and kept almost forty pieces of clothing (take that Plato!) We did not ask or expect anything in return, but she still wrote a check for Angie for a very generous amount. The blessings keep pouring in for which I am eternally thankful.

No, It's Not a Jelly-of-the-Month Club..it's JAMBERRY!

Speaking of blessings that keep pouring in, my wife just recently became a Jamberry consultant. They're fingernails...that - and I can honestly say I've seen it first-hand - you stick on and they last much longer than painted nails AND they are much cheaper AND they look better because they have so many cool designs. You can even create your own unique designs. We're just thankful that Angie met Ashley who taught her the ropes, but I'm very proud of my wife for taking this so seriously and learning everything there is know about the product. It will definitely generate some more income for us. I'm also thankful for all of those that have ordered from her. Blessings.

No comments: