Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Letters to Janice: April 23, 1945



During and after the second World War, my grandparents wrote many letters back and forth to each other. She kept every one he had ever written. A couple of years ago, soon after her passing - and after a long search - my grandpa found the letters and shared them with me. And now with his permission I'm sharing them with you. I'm fascinated by this time period and am excited to have this part of their history written down and preserved forever.

April 23, 1945
Bainbridge Md.

Dear Janice,

     How are you? How is everybody. To-day we got our clothes. Boy is this a mess. I ended up with two right shoes.

     You won't run your fingers through my hair for a long because I have no hair period. Everybody is practically bald. I have less than 1/4 in. of hair.

     Boot started to-day, we are learning how to roll our clothes. (Boy,) is that a job. I'm so mixed up I don't know which end is up. This is the best organized confusion I've ever seen. Maybe by Wed. we will get straightened out.

     The more of this iiiii life I get the more I hate it.

   We will be here till July sometime whenever our 10 wks. are up, so I won't be home for commencement. 

     I'm in a hurry so I can't write much. Tell everybody to write. Tell everybody I'm asking for them. Keep away from the valve! I believe in taking on some weight. This life is okay if you like it, but who likes it. This is surely no place to reform, but I'm doing it....That's hard to believe but its true.

How about sending me a picture to hang up in my locker!

Be good, so long. 

                                                     Love and Kisses
                                                          Ralph
                                                          (Baldy)

                                                                                                      Be sure to 
                                                                                                   write. I can get
                                                                                                          mail now.


                                                                                                           Ralph J. Homsher A/S
                                                                                                           co. 3125    BKS.323 U
                                                                                                            N.T.S   Bainbridge Md.





    

No comments: