Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Elves are Back: The Fifteenth Day of Christmas 2015

For a few years now, elves from the North Pole have stopped in on our little abode starting at midnight on the first day of Christmas. Leaving little trinkets - gum, Hershey Kisses, notepads etc. - but also leaving behind a letter for the girls to appreciate. The appreciation may not register until further down the road, but I have a feeling each letter represents a seed that will either flourish or dry up all depending on how well it's cared for and applied. The letters, while giving some sense of what goes on up north during this hectic time of year, also share anecdotal notes on life as well as the true meaning of Christmas.

The Fifteenth Day of Christmas:


Good morning, Graybill Girls! It’s December 15th!!

Thank you for the questions Madison. It gave me an idea. Instead of a typical letter we elves leave, I thought we’d write a little autobiography about ourselves. Would you like that? Okay, here it goes…

Hi! My name is Twitter. I’m not named after the social media site. I was actually born three hundred and seventeen years before social media even existed. “Twitter” is actually the sound a bird makes…like a chirping sound. On the day I was born, my mother was very sad. Oh, not because I was born… Ha, Ha…I guess that didn’t sound right. She was very happy I was born, but leading up to my birth she was worried my dad wouldn’t be there to welcome me into the world. You see, he, at that time, was a postal worker for the North Pole Postal Service. During his route that day, his reindeer – which is what he used to deliver mail – had a bad leg cramp and couldn’t fly. The weather was so bad, my dad couldn’t make it to the hospital himself on foot. Luckily, and some say this is a Christmas miracle, a runaway reindeer happened upon his path and was able to fly my dad to the hospital. He was able to see me being born. The moment I was born, three birds landed on the window sill of my room. They were chirping, or tweeting, the happy news – or at least that’s what my mom said they were doing. But that’s how I got my name. Oh, and I like playing the harmonica, reading the Bible, throwing Frisbee and of course, making toys J

WELL HELLO. MY NAME IS DODGE. I’M A NICE ELF. I JUST DON’T LIKE TALKING ABOUT MYSELF TOO MUCH. I’M KINDA A SHORT (NO PUN INTENEDED) AND TO THE POINT KINDA ELF. ME AND SHORT ANSWERS GO TOGETHER LIKE…WELL, WHATEVER TWO THINGS YOU CAN THINK OF THAT GO TOGETHER WELL. BUTTERFLIES AND ANKLES. NO, THAT’S NOT RIGHT. CARPET AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS. NO THAT’S NOT RIGHT EITHER. SEE? I’M NOT GOOD AT THIS STUFF. ANYWAY I MAY NOT LIKE TALKING MUCH BUT I SURE WOULD GO OUT OF MY WAY TO HELP SOMEONE. I GUESS YOU CAN SAY THAT’S MY HOBBY. FINDING WAYS TO HELP PEOPLE. I ALSO ENJOY MARSHMALLOWS OVER A FIRE, DRAWING AND EACH YEAR WE GET A MONTH OFF SO I GO DOWN TO CLEARWATER FLORIDA AND WATCH SOME SPRING TRAINING BASEBALL. BOY, I LOVE BASEBALL. I ALSO LOVE ICE SKATING!

Mornin’ Darlin’ Angels! My name is Orbit. I am one of the main elves that Santa comes to when he needs something. I’m not the first elf he comes to but if the first elf is busy and the next elf is out of town well, then…I’m not the next after that, but the next, next, next, next, next, next elf in line. You might say I’m pretty important when Santa has a problem. I’m married with eighteen children. I enjoy whittling. Do you know what that is? It’s carving shapes out of wood. I carved an entire city out of wood including people, buildings, cars and even a train and a baseball stadium. It took about eighty-seven years to complete. My favorite thing to do, other than being with my family, is lying down in the forest and listening to the snowflakes land on the tree branches and the ground around me.

Well, girls, I know we probably didn’t answer everything you wanted to know, but I hope you didn’t mind us sharing. Christmas is getting SO close and I know your daddy loves Christmas movies so I hope you get to snuggle up with him and watch some when you have the chance. What are you guys going to watch next? I like the Muppets myself J Merry Christmas! We love you!

Your Elves,

Twitter, Dodge and Orbit


P.S. We’re leaving you cards as your gift so you can write Christmas letters to all the people you love. It will make their hearts full of joy J

No comments: