Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Elves are Back: The Sixteenth Day of Christmas 2015

For a few years now, elves from the North Pole have stopped in on our little abode starting at midnight on the first day of Christmas. Leaving little trinkets - gum, Hershey Kisses, notepads etc. - but also leaving behind a letter for the girls to appreciate. The appreciation may not register until further down the road, but I have a feeling each letter represents a seed that will either flourish or dry up all depending on how well it's cared for and applied. The letters, while giving some sense of what goes on up north during this hectic time of year, also share anecdotal notes on life as well as the true meaning of Christmas.

The Sixteenth Day of Christmas:


December 16, 2015

I bet yesterday didn’t turn out the way you expected it to. Another trip to the doctor. Another x-rau and thankfully another diagnosis that doesn’t involve something broken. Hope you heal up soon, Madison! B, so proud of your grade on your Egypt and China test. You really rocked that thing! Good going! Sophie, good luck to day at school. Sing loud for us, okay? We love hearing you sing!
For something different I’m going to make a list of things I am thankful for. I know it’s not Thanskgiving, but we always need to give thanks to all that we have because all that we have is because of our Lord. And it is his birthday after all J

I’m going to make a list using the letters from the word Christmas. I think it will be things I’m either thankful for or things that I appreciate about this time of year. This is something you can do as well.

Here it goes…

C for Candles in the window that remind me no matter how much darkness, you can always see the Light.

H for His promise to always love us no matter what

R for Ridiculousness because we have to remember in the midst of all the stress and chaos it’s good to be silly every once and awhile.

I for the I love Yous that are shared between family and friends

S for Songs about the Savior’s birth

T for Trees decorated with all kinds of ornaments

M for the many many blessings

A for the Angels that protect us

S: for the saints that go above and beyond to help the helpless, to home the homeless and to give hope to those that feel hopeless.

Merry Christmas!

Your Elves,


Hickory-Dickory,  Sam Harry & Whatchamacallit 

No comments: