Wednesday, October 26, 2016

African Journal: Part 3

I began writing this poem on July 19th 1994. I think that is when we were on the plane headed to the airport in Accra, Ghana.  I don't usually feel tempted - or motivated - to edit my poems. I always preferred them off-the-cuff. I'm not a big fan of the poems I wrote in the 90s so I want nothing more than to dive in and seek out what I was trying to say. It's kind of senseless, but at the same time, considering I was headed to a third-world country for the first and only time, it is fitting that it turned out the way it did. It's unfinished and I'm not surprised I never went back to finish. I am surprised that the last two lines were written two days later. I rarely  stop writing a poem and then come back to continue it.

7/19

one handshake without reach
one step without a footprint
one sky
one constellation with no stars in it
one piece of mind
 with no one controlling it
one love
 with whom is the question
 just show me or maybe
 I better not know

7/21

one walk without an adventure
one friend with no secrets

...and there it is. My twenty-two-year-old unfinished, never-to-be-completed poem. I do like it more now that I've read it more than once and I see it in print. I think it has a lot to do with saying goodbye to friends and family that was mentioned in Part 1.

No comments: