Sunday, November 13, 2016

African Journal: Part 11 (First Day at the Site)

I really enjoyed reading this entry because it mentions a memory that I had completely forgotten about...a true Good Morning, Vietnam moment. To be honest, I still don't remember it, but I imagine the elation I felt was genuine and rarely equalled.

Monday 7/25/94

We went to the work site in Klepe today. They did not want us to work. We felt badly, but just having us there, they were honored. I don't understand. We did however,  get a game of Catch the Lemon going with one of the workers. He pitched one to me and I hit it with a little log and ran around high-fiving Amy and Lori and then another worker who was watching from the piggery foundation came over, "Slap me. Slap me." So I shook his hand. It was great! 

One guy showed us the Kola tree and the cocoa bean. Ghana is one of the places Hershey's gets their cocoa bean from.

We went to Peke (?) to visit where Brenda stayed. We visited with Reverend Aku and climbed 82 steps to Brenda's place. We saw the church that was built in 1847. And we saw Tony at the seminary. He was the one who asked Brenda to marry him, but was denied.

It was a long trip out there, but we survived. It was really beautiful. Amy choked to death on Gin...but sadly she is still alive :)

Tuesday 7/26/94

We got to work today at the site. "This is why I'm here!" We were all excited. We carried cement or concrete and sand and I even carried a bucket of water on my head. I think there are pictures of this somewhere. The women sang songs and danced for moral support. The women work as well. Some with babies on their backs. The unity was a joyous feeling. 

This afternoon we went to the women's center with Ester and then to her home. She showed us how to make Bonku (?) and taught us how to use the mortar and pestool to ???? pepper and tomato.

When we got there, her daughter came out in her underwear to greet us. Which Amy and I had a little chuckle about. Then we walked over to the chapel where the women's group was meeting. They were turning cotton into a thread for kente (a long, brightly colored garment). They sang for us and we danced and sang with them and for them. 

We left there and after supper, we left for Klepe or our entertainment.


No comments: