Friday, November 4, 2016

African Journal: Part 7

7/22/94 (Continued)

I can buy a sheep for 10,000 cedi. 

We visited the farm. It was a 20-25 minute, bumpy ride. It had sheep that really looked like goats. They had a billy goat, snails and a lizard running around. Everywhere, goats. I stood next to an ant hill - which was taller than me - for a picture to give an idea to people of the size.

We drove back and met with Japhit. We journeyed to Klepe to look at the work site. The cement was not even poured yet.

We were practically mobbed by children when we arrived. At first, they just waved and smiled. I took a picture (so did Chris). They went absolutely wild with the flashes. As we went to the site, they followed us swarming around us. Especially on the way back to the pickups. There were kids reaching for Chris' hair. And one little girl (very cute) held my hand. I told Chris sometime that it's like you are a celebrity, but you are just a "normal person". We are white though and they look at us with no judgment. I just love (having) the kids around us. It is just really incredible.

I really want to make a lot of money so I have plenty to give to these people. I really felt like Michael Jackson or somebody. I see my own Heal the World video everywhere I looked.

We continued to look around and the little girl (that held my hand), Afi, Japhit's granddaughter, found me again and held my hand. I want to give her something. I wonder if she will remember. 

Amy just told us that she didn't want to go to Africa when we were at Baltimore. She called home and cried. Lori said she's glad she didn't call home. It wouldn't bother me because I needed to go away. I don't miss anybody yet. The only people I will miss is Buddy, Sheila and Jaime. I am a little worried that something bad will happen.

Amy was just complaining about how, Brenda, on the way to the airport it was pouring down rain and she had the wipers on really slow and Brenda told Amy to help read the signs. Amy couldn't see and to herself said, "Maybe if you would turn the wipers on!" I thought it was a good idea for stand-up comedy.

We left Klepe and stopped at a cool bar and got sodas. Frank and Japhit had their usual beers. We had supper - tuna and chips (french fries). Now, I'm here writing. I did survive going to the bathroom and sitting down for the first time.

Side note: When defecating (a term I learned around this time and was sure to use it any chance that I got) in Ghana, there was no flushing so the toilet paper used to wipe yourself had to be set inside of a (waste)basket. The left hand, I believe, is your "wiping" hand so waving to someone with that hand is considered offensive in their culture.

No comments: