Sunday, November 6, 2016

African Journal: Part 8

There is no date on this page. I'm pretty sure it's still July 22nd, but I did write on the very top margin: The Defecator "I'll Be Back." Don't let my teenage humor deter you from reading the rest of this entry. At a glance, it seems like I was taking the time to reflect on our trip so far. It includes a prayer, Bible verses and a some poetry as well. I'm reading these - as I type - for the first time since I've written them twenty-two years ago. It is a journal so I'm not leaving anything out...or changing too much grammatically. 

1st Day: keeping an open mind - this isn't for me
2nd Day: they deserve the beauty - (in) the U.S. it is hidden
3rd Day: I really don't want to go back, yet, I do. The kids were just amazing and on the way back Chris said the bumpy road is worth it (because of the kids). I said (it was) nothing compared to what these kids go through

We saw a truck or two go by today with people singing. Frank said they are burying somebody. They plant Forget-Me-Not trees at the cemetery. 

-Ryan

Aunte Vida - "A stranger Among Us" has a whole new meaning. There are no strangers.

*I am embarrassed to be an American. I have no respect whatsoever for the government.

Dear Lord,

Buying things for myself will be a problem. $15 I spend on a CD is a lot of money to a Ghanian and many other nations of people. We can't deprive ourselves, but we can't forget our Christian friends. Lord, I ask for your guidance for myself, Jon, Amy, Lori and Chris. We have many unanswerable questions going through our minds. Please help us. We need your word.

I'm not sure what the following is. I do not remember if it's something that was told to us that I wrote down or a partial poem that I jotted down at a moment of inspiration.

I approached the woman in the chair
and gave her my greeting
the dirt beneath my shoes
was clean soil comforting their feet
and she said you are welcome
let's go see the children
she said I looked at her with 
so much praise
...I have no idea where I am
You are in the hearts of Americans

****

This was written off to the side of the page: Matthew 10: 5-10. I only wrote down a portion of the verse, but I have an arrow drawn to the words, "devotions tomorrow."

Here is the entire portion of that scripture: 

These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.
“Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts 10 no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep.
This does not seem to match up with the portion that I wrote which was: "Let us go and search awhile. Let us not continue our sleep." I cannot find where this is in scripture. But, I do wonder if this is where Bono - the scripture-heavy songwriter - got some of his lyrics for "Bad".
I continue by writing...
We can't fall asleep. We are going through a second stage of depression which is good for us. We are talking about America...what they do, don't do. What (we) should (do).
Off to the side I wrote: A reason for everything.
And more poetry blips: I got nothing I asked for, but everything I hoped for

No comments: