Monday, November 7, 2016

African Journal: Part 9

I actually read through this entry before typing it. With prior entries, I would type as I go while simultaneously trying to remember the events I - for the most part - inadequately describe. I must preface this entry by saying that it appears I wasn't in the best of moods when writing. For those that know me, they certainly wish they didn't know the part of me that gets extremely grumpy and irritable. It's a spiritual attack that I've been bludgeoned with for as long as I can remember. It appears here in this journal entry that I'm a little frustrated with my group. I do not recall ever feeling this way. I only recall enjoying my time with them. While conversations we've had and places we've visited in Ghana may be on the wrong side of my memory, I do remember and will always remember our Ghana group. My apologies to Amy, Lori, Chris and Jon, but I do know while in the midst of this trip, burdens lay heavy on my heart. 

July 23, 1994

We drove to some mountain today. It was a very long drive and a very bumpy one. The scenery was gorgeous. The mountain had a cross on the top that we climbed to. But, wait. Before I go any further, the one thing that really pisses me off is when people just assume that since I always joke around, everything I say is supposed to be funny. I mean, I can't say anything without people thinking I'm trying to be funny. Then they give me those stupid looks and remarks. I guess I just have to be around people with a sense of humor then I'm funny and fine.

Amy is great. She reminds of Sheila because we could probably play off each other really well. 

They just left to go down to the church. People are singing beautifully. Why didn't I go? I hate that question why!

We were supposed to be back from hiking at 1:00 or 1:30 to go to the market with Mable at 2:00. We got back two hours late because Frank visited his family at the place he grew up. We visited a school and Mable's mother and got back and took our daily shower. I actually could stand underneath this time.

Jon always seems in his own little world. He's brainy, not my personality.

I'm not sure if Chris likes me or not. I only like her as a friend. She's great, but I think I'm not feeling completely comfortable with these people. I think I'm just over doing it a little. Of course the crap they give me for thinking I'm trying to be funny doesn't help.  I love you, guys :)

The people are so kind here. They all wave and everything. The kids love it. Last night, we only had a little bit of devotions. Amy wasn't really up to it. We were all tired. We all slept at Amy's. We kept talking after we turned off the lights about how it's not right or something giving our old stuff to these people. We just had a lot of questions going through our minds that really needed to be answered. 

Chris said something that made me get up and write something in my journal (the poem on the previous page - refer to Part 8). We ended up just talking for a long time.

Verses that we read that night. I remember feeling the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 7:7-12

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets
Matthew 10:5-10
These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.
“Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts10 no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep.
Matthew 15:29-39
29 Jesus left there and went along the Sea of Galilee. Then he went up on a mountainside and sat down. 30 Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute and many others, and laid them at his feet; and he healed them. 31 The people were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled made well, the lame walking and the blind seeing. And they praised the God of Israel.
32 Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them away hungry, or they may collapse on the way.”
33 His disciples answered, “Where could we get enough bread in this remote place to feed such a crowd?”
34 “How many loaves do you have?” Jesus asked.
“Seven,” they replied, “and a few small fish.”
35 He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. 36 Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people.37 They all ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 38 The number of those who ate was four thousand men, besides women and children.39 After Jesus had sent the crowd away, he got into the boat and went to the vicinity of Magadan.
Matthew 18:1-14
8 When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. A man with leprosy[a] came and knelt before him and said, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.”
Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy. Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”
Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”
The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west,and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
14 When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.
All of our answers were just coming through. We found scriptures putting the mix up of the goat and sheep together (We got goats and sheep mixed up at the farm yesterday). Her devotion entries for the day fit perfectly. We talked about how people giving clothes away is like stone and it's building a wall around us because we think we are helping them, but we're really not. We have to give them bread so they can worry about the rest of (their needs).

No comments: