Saturday, December 3, 2016

Elf Letters 2016: Night Three

For the last several years, Elves - with very interesting names - from the North Pole have come to visit our home beginning at midnight on the first day of December. They leave little trinkets for each of our daughters, but more importantly they leave a letter for them to read each morning. The great thing about the letters, that I've come to realize and appreciate, is that they each serve a purpose. They are not just quickly written notes on Post-its, but instead are filled with the importance of family, the real meaning of Christmas and a reminder of how special and beautiful (and fortunate) they each are. I look forward to their visits as much as the girls do.

December the Third

GOOD morning, Sunshines! I do believe you are brighter than the star of Bethlehem with your gorgeous eyes and adorable SMILES.  We knew it was our turn next and I spent half the night counting down the minutes until our journey to your home in Virginia. “Christmas in Virginia!” That has a nice sound to it, doesn’t it?

Everybody have sweet dreams? I didn’t.

In my one DREAM I was a little, lone chocolate chip on this big scoop of OREO ice cream in this HUGEMONGOUS-MAMMOTH bowl that had twinkling lights…and was out in the MIDDLE of a dessert with humming birds singing Jingle Bells. Anyway, there I was just minding my own business, doing what chocolate chips do best…you know, just sit there…and then I HEAR this weird breathing. I turned my little chocolate chip eyes and there in front of ME were these TWO really big – I mean REALLY big – pair of snotty nostrils. It was one of the REINDEER! And he started licking the ice cream! His wet tongue swooshed to the right of me…then it swished to the left of me. Just barely missing me. I feared in seconds I would be dangling from the tongue of COMET and swallowed and…well, you know what happens to food right? YUK!

Thankfully I woke up just as about Comet was going to take another swipe. Whew! That was close. The funny thing about all this is how I woke up…with a reindeer – Comet no less – licking my FACE! Maybe I should have wipe my mouth off after eating my fudgecicle and before going to bed.

I doubt you had DREAMS like that and I doubt you’ve ever woken up with an animal licking your face…or maybe you have. If you have then you know it’s GROSS!

Everybody have a good week at school? Everybody clip up? Did you CLIP down? If you did, it’s okay…as long as you learn from it and try harder to make better CHOICES. Thank GOODNESS we have a Lord and Savior that loves us and FORGIVES us no matter what. That’s HIS promise.

I hear your headed to Manassas today! That’s very exciting. Making family memories is so important and  fun.  Maybe while you’re eating your Lucky Charms (Yes, I snuck a peak into your cereal cabinet.) you can share SOME memories that you have of your FAMILY.

I hope some memories that you never FORGET or get tired of remembering are all the times your parents prayed before dinner and taught you the importance of LOVE and KINDNESS and just how much they love and adore you. If they seem hard on you, it’s because they are SHAPING you into strong faith-filled adults that will be an example of God’s glory and GRACE to all those that know you. You girls are quite special and we really, really mean that from the bottom of our Elfish hearts.

Be kind today and try to go out of your way to HELP someone out. It could change their DAY or their LIFE.

We love you GIRLS!

Merry CHRISTMAS!

Your Elves,

Lickety-Split, Jingle Heimer and Tick-Tock McGlock

No comments: