Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Elf Letters 2016: Night Twenty

For the last several years, Elves - with very interesting names - from the North Pole have come to visit our home beginning at midnight on the first day of December. They leave little trinkets for each of our daughters, but more importantly they leave a letter for them to read each morning. The great thing about the letters, that I've come to realize and appreciate, is that they each serve a purpose. They are not just quickly written notes on Post-its, but instead are filled with the importance of family, the real meaning of Christmas and a reminder of how special and beautiful (and fortunate) they each are. I look forward to their visits as much as the girls do.

The 20th day of December 2016

Two more days of school before break! Four more days UNTIL you go to CHRISTMAS Eve service at your church AND Five more days until Christmas Day!  Think it will be cold?! THINK it will be SNOWY! Looking at your forecast, I don’t think any of that IS going to happen. But what a special day it will be! You may be able to go on a Christmas walk together.

We all took a walk yesterday. Everybody. Santa wanted us to do it before we got started ON our rehearsals for the big NIGHT. We walked for a long time. We walked until we got tired and then Santa encouraged us to walk some MORE.  When we finally stopped, Santa turned and looked out upon all of us. He seemed like he was going to say something grand, but stood their silently INSTEAD. Minutes went by and just SECONDS before the sun rose above the horizon, he said, “The sun is a SYMBOL of hope. A sign of a NEW day. A day in WHICH His promises are as firm and solid as all the days before it. We must give HOPE to the hopeless, but more importantly, WE must INSPIRE others to give HOPE to those they know and to those they MEET for the first time. We must pass the LIGHT, His light, to one another. Think about this as we prepare for our BIG night. It’s not about the TOYS. It’s not about the COOKIES. It’s about showing love and evoking hope so more JOY and happiness exist in this broken world.

After everyone left, I stayed for a bit and watched as the sun rose higher and I listened to LIFE around me AWAKEN. In those gentle moments of the MORNING I was still and I was QUIET. With a wave of peace washing OVER me, I stood and I gave THANKS for every person in my life, for every child just like the three of you and even for the STORMS I had to go through to get to right here RIGHT now. In those moments, I felt God touch my shoulder and say, “Good job!”

He says that to you all the time. He tells us He loves us so much, but how often do we listen? If you ever have a CHANCE to watch His LIGHT come up over the HORIZON, take it. It will fill you with HOPE and inspire you to take that HOPE and spread it around through kind words and good deeds.

I’m so excited about this time of year. I’m excited for Santa’s launch and for the excitement on Christmas morning, but also excited to feel God’s presence in ALL that WE do as one BIG family. Life is a team SPORT. Let’s work together on bringing HOPE to the world.

WE love you, girls! WE are very proud of you. Keep lifting EACH other up. Remember, the spread of joy, hope and love can BEGIN with you!

Merry CHRISTMAS!

Your Elves,
Phantom, Bethlehem and Sunflower

No comments: