Monday, January 9, 2017

Elf Letters 2016: Christmas Eve



For the last several years, Elves - with very interesting names - from the North Pole have come to visit our home beginning at midnight on the first day of December. They leave little trinkets for each of our daughters, but more importantly they leave a letter for them to read each morning. The great thing about the letters, that I've come to realize and appreciate, is that they each serve a purpose. They are not just quickly written notes on Post-its, but instead are filled with the importance of family, the real meaning of Christmas and a reminder of how special and beautiful (and fortunate) they each are. I look forward to their visits as much as the girls do.

Christmas Eve 2016!

Can you believe it?! Have you ever been this excited?! I can hardly sit still. In fact, I haven’t stopped moving around all day. I jumped, walked, ran, leaped, twisted, jogged, paraded, danced and twirled. Thankfully I had my Fitbit on so I got over 40,000 steps in all that moving around.

Those steps, although filled with a lot of nervous energy, were good and healthy. There are people that go 40,000 steps either in the wrong direction or take those steps and without the right luggage. What luggage do you think I mean? What is the one thing that we need to make sure we take with us every step of every way that we go? Whether it’s 40,000 or just 40, if we don’t have Christ leading the way, none of it matters. Of course, He is always with us, but we need to make sure we acknowledge his presence in all that we do.

So, big plans today? I know your church does an outstanding Christmas Eve service so I bet – and I hope – you’re looking forward to that special time with your church family.
Things are spectacular up at the Pole. Everyone is healthy, the reindeer are energized and feeling strong and of course, Mrs. Claus baked a mountain of cookies. And I mean literally a mountain of cookies! I don’t ever remember having a belly ache feeling this good! Don’t get any ideas though.

Here’s an idea, why don’t we continue the ABCs?

T             For the angel or star on the TREETOP
                For the TRAVELING and the safe arrival in the arms of family

U            For families UNITED around the tree

V            For the VICTORY already won

W          For the WISE MEN as well as for our WISDOM while letting God lead

X            For the Excitement of children and parents too while wrapped up together
                In the Christmas spirit

Y            for the YOUNG, the very young like Oliver celebrating his first Christmas

Z            for the ZOO that life sometimes seems to be, but we’re all in good hands

Merry Christmas! This is our last letter for this year. Can you believe it?! Santa will               write you a letter tomorrow. Enjoy the presents, enjoy each other, enjoy giving your               hearts to the Lord on this glorious day.

We love you!

Your Elves,
Cookie (Back again!), Yummy and Toad

P.S. So sorry that we didn’t bring you an invisible light pen, Sophie. We will keep it in mind of another time.  We ran out of the special parts needed to make those pens so cool. I’m sure you will enjoy all of your other toys tomorrow morning!

P.S. (Again)

Mrs. Claus wanted to send you a little note:

Beautiful Graybill Girls,

My, my, you are the sweetest girls around! We all just adore you and continue to be amazed by you. I made something very special for the each of you. I knitted these stockings myself. I don’t always do that, but I felt all of you deserved something extra special. I took some yarn from some of Santa’s old suits, scarves the reindeer used to wear and even some from blankets that have been keeping us warm up here in the North Pole for a very long time. So each one has a lot of history and memories sewn into them. I hope you like them because I really enjoyed making them for you.

Merry Christmas,
Mrs. Claus

No comments: