Friday, March 11, 2022

Capstone Component 2: Publication Plan


Slice of Life: Day 11 (My next-to-last assignment before graduating.) 

Publication Plan

            Before beginning my MA program, I was in the middle of heavy revisions with my novel, Grace Leads Home. My mentor opened my eyes to concepts such as showing vs. telling, point-of-view and passive voice – elements of writing my SNHU classes would further enhance. Our sessions together inspired me to revise every day – something I had not disciplined myself to do. With classes beginning and consuming my extra time, Grace Leads Home had to take a back seat – until my final class. Over two years later, I was ecstatic to be given the time to once again join Riley, Daulton and Kerry on their alternate-world adventures. The fervor and desire to see my work published has resurfaced, my morale has uplifted as the path to publication stretches out before me. Upon graduation, the work will continue, but I will miss the feedback from the professor and my peers. Therefore, I will utilize writing groups to maintain momentum and build connections. Grace Leads Home is better because of the feedback – a necessary component of the writing process.

Literary Agents and Theme

            While revising, I will research literary agencies willing to work with new fiction writers who have not gone too long since last publishing. I want someone who has their feet in the fire, fresh and motivated. My goal is to send fifty query letters within the next few months. More if proven fruitless. My agent must believe in my work, know the publishing world and be someone I feel comfortable having around my family. I’m looking for a supportive, honest, long-term relationship.

            I discovered Erin Harris through Publisher’s Marketplace. She represents debut authors of literary and book club fiction. With its themes of redemption, perseverance, coming of age, faith, hope and love, Grace Leads Home should pique her interest. She will be one of the first to receive my query letter. Whomever I work with must appreciate that my novel is my pride and joy. My agent must find a publisher who will treat it accordingly and promote it as not only a great novel, but one that could be the next binge-watching sensation on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon.

Social Media and Continuing Education

Social media can be powerful for promoting your work. Creating a platform is a priority because publishing companies will be much more willing to sign me if I have a following of five-thousand people rather than a hundred. I will continue to attend webinars hosted by experts in publishing and other fields, such as finding the right agent. Recently, I learned that Twitter is the best place to access and learn about agents. Many post about what kind of writers and genres they’re looking to represent. 

Lately, the speakers in my car have only been playing audiobooks by writers such as William Zissner, Ray Bradbury and Anne Lamott. My education will continue beyond graduation because being a published writer is not a hope or a lightweight goal. It’s a mission.

After taking a three-year absence from social media, I returned knowing it’s a productive way to reach and create an audience. This month, a March writing challenge, has me posting on my blog every day, and Facebook has been the catalyst to draw visitors to my site. While I’m not posting fiction, I see the positive impact my writing has and look forward to inspiring readers of all ages with my novels, short stories, memoirs and screenplays.

Timeline

            I want nothing more than to be on a best-seller list. That may take time, but I’m willing to do the work – one step at a time. I’ll begin where I left off with my revisions in class as we see August abandoned by Elmer, who left instructions to build a cabin. Years later, Riley, Daulton and Kerry – the main protagonists – are introduced when the three young boys discover the cabin, the catalyst for their alternate world adventures. My goal is to have final revisions completed within the next three months – in time to send to agents upon request.

            Having already started on my revisions and educating myself in many facets of the publishing world, I don’t feel I’m starting from square one. In many ways, I think I’m ahead of the pack as I continue learning about finding agents, writing a query letter and traditional vs. self-publishing. Application and discipline are key. As long as I continue fine-tuning my skills by applying what I’ve learned from successful writers, my classes at SNHU and sticking to my plan of revising every day, Grace Leads Home will be in the hands of an agent in no time. Bring on the rejections. They are merely stepping stones to a yes.

1 comment:

mrbrackbill said...

Ah, Ryan!! Love this reflection - thanks for sharing! You are indeed way ahead of the pack, and I have no doubts that your drive and education and inspiration will all align to make dream come true. The world is ready for your entry into literature, and my library shelves long for one of the first copies!! DOL