Sunday, March 13, 2022

Life of a Writer

 

Slice of Life: Day 13

What are you doing?

            Cleaning out my desk drawers, why?

Shouldn’t you be writing?

            They’re messy.

Right. What? Is there a pencil facing the wrong way?

            Are you making fun of me for being organized?

Is that what you call it?

            Even neat drawers need organized.

That makes no sense. You know what you’re doing, don’t you? You’re procr-

            No, I’m not. I’m simply doing things that need to be done.

(shuffling of papers)

What are you doing know?

            Bills don’t pay themselves.

Bills. Right. You have an idea for a story, but you’d rather pay the bills? And actually, they do pay themselves. It’s called aut-

            I know what it’s called, but I want to make sure.

(beep)

Where are you going now?

            Dishwasher’s done.

You have three girls to do that.

            It’s easier if I do it. Less complaining.

Right.

(loud buzz)

Let me guess. Laundry.

            Like the bills, they don’t fold themselves.

Like I said before, you have three daughters.

            They need to be folded the right way.

How’s the writing going?

            I’ll get to it.

After laundry?

            Of course. I want to write, so why wouldn’t I write?

(basement door opens)

            Before you ask, litter box needs cleaned out.

Of course. Cleansing the air before sitting down to write.

            You’re catching on. It’s not that I don’t want to write. I do. But things need done.

What are you going to do when you have a deadline?

            You’re looking at it. I like thing neat and tidy and clean before I write.

You mean you like to procras-

            That’s not what I’m doing. I simply think of something else that needs to be done.

(door opens and closes)

Where are you going now?

            I need to plant some seeds, sweep out the garage, prune, cut wood, scrub the pool.

You need to do all that now? Like, right now? Not after you finish writing?

            I like keeping busy.

You like work avoidance.

            Why would I avoid something I love to do? That’s doesn’t make any sense.

(fluffing of pillow)

You’re taking a nap?

            I’m tired. Didn’t you just see everything I did?

(Sigh)

One hour later…

Ready to write?

            What time is it?

Hours and hours since you first sat down to write.

            I should probably eat something.

You should probably get your writing finished. It’s important to write every day.

(rummaging in the laundry room)

More laundry already?

            No, I need to clean.

You’re going to clean? Now?

            Showers need scrubbed.

Congratulations.

            For what?

You are truly a writer.

 

4 comments:

Leigh Anne Eck said...

Yes to every single line of this! I am going to share this with our Teach Write Facebook group as I know they will relate to it also! I think I have some laundry to do...

Rita said...

Lol! I thought you were peeking into my life at some points of this post. I think so many of us can relate to the avoidance you write about. I really like the way the voice in your head is relentless!

Ms. Erika said...

Yep, totally me…

Marie Glass said...

Ryan, you have described what I do to my violets! Five Hundred sets of pale green leaves hanging over the sides of the pot whispering "waaaater meeeee", and I am busy doing something else that just has to be done. What is it about that which we love?