Saturday, November 12, 2022

Loglines for "Long Stories, Short Rides"

I accepted the daunting NaNoWriMo 50,000-word challenge. Sort of. Technically, those words are meant for a new novel, but I adjusted the goal along with many others, shaping it to my personal needs. My biggest goal? To write every day - like I did back in March ultimately sending me into an exhaustive dry spell. Whether I like it or not, my competitive spirit lives on.

My goal is to reach or surpass 30,000 words - a plan no writer would claim as anything but arduous. It's the true test of dedication to the craft. Rather than the 1,667 words/day, it's dwindled to (on average) one thousand. Using blog entries, my daily journal and my additions to my brand new novel, Long Stories, Short Rides, I will do my best to obtain. Am I being lazy? No, realistic. After all, the whole point is to write. One thousand words per day are equivalent to an entire rough draft in three months. I'll take it - especially considering my first novel is now in its third decade of development. 

Writers learn quickly explaining their story in one or two sentences is an essential skill. Once people discover you are a writer, they ask, "Have you written anything?" This is followed by, "What's it about?" It presents a pivotal moment to capture a potential reader's interest. If you ramble, they'll be enough glaze hazing over their eyes for a dozen freshly baked donuts. Hence, the elevator pitch, the one to two-sentence description of your screenplay or novel.

You are given a small window to pique interest when talking with industry professionals. If you blow it, you're done. Well, until you fine-tune your approach and hopefully get another opportunity. It's called the elevator pitch for a reason. If you're hypothetically in an elevator with a Hollywood bigwig, you only have a few floors to hook them.

Loglines must include: the protagonist, their goal, inciting incident and conflict. Some have a touch of irony as well.

They say it's good to practice your loglines on random people and use their reactions to gauge whether adjustments need to be made. Loglines aren't easy. Bad ones are bad, but good ones fill theaters and sell books. Don't believe me? Write 100,000 words and explain it in 35. Chances are you lived 100,000 words of a lifetime. Try telling your biography to someone in less than twenty seconds - without sounding like John Moschitta. He's the Micro-machine guy. If people's eyes glaze over, perhaps it's time for some reflection.

Following are a few loglines for Long Stories, Short Rides - a time-traveling, father/son redemption story. Feel free to comment on which one sounds most appealing.

Choice 1:

When realizing he missed out on opportunities with his dad, Phoenix Tide finds his father's old car, sending him back in time with a chance to get to know him.

Choice 2:

When growing up, Phoenix Tide didn't capitalize on opportunities to talk with this dad. After discovering his father's old car, Phoenix is sent back in time for one more chance.

Choice 3:

Phoenix Tide's life choices lack morals and purpose. When he's sent back in time, Phoenix has another chance to get to know the man he wished he had spent more time with. His father.

Choice 4:

Growing up, Phoenix Tide didn't utilize the short time he had with his dad. Upon discovering his dad's old car, Phoenix is sent back in time for one more chance. 

None of these are good enough. I'll keep working on it.

Consider following me.

Dream Out Loud, 
rg

Photography Credit: wallpaperflare.com

No comments: