Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 1: Maybe I'm Growing Up



It's funny. Funny how some people hold teachers in high regard while some - unfortunately too many - do not. They do not speak or think highly of us because they simply cannot understand the grueling demands we face each day. For 180 days. With their kids.

The ones that love and appreciate us really love and appreciate us. They get it. Even though they aren't teachers themselves, somehow, they get it. Some, like today, prove not to have made up their minds. One day I'm a blessing from God, and this morning, I'm a robot-making, insensitive heartless butthole. She didn't use that word, but that's what I felt she was yelling in what would definitely have been a spit-spraying conversation had it been in person. It was a nasty email. a dagger to any teacher's confidence.

But I must be growing up. After all these years, maybe I've grown into my teacher pants. That's not even a thing. Let's try again. Maybe after all these years, I've learned how to roll with the punches. Yes, that's more accurate. Some punches are more gut-wrenching than others, and I admit, if I had received this email years and years ago, I would have lost sleep over it and worn my grumpy pants to dinner. That is a thing. My family will attest. 

 

I also would have replied with a knee-jerk reaction making the situation worse – mainly because I would be a butthole for doing so. It isn't professional, but oh, man…how tempting it is. Today, it wasn't. Even though she accused me of not caring for her son – a sword-like jab not easily swallowed, I took the high road. Which is to say, I showed grace to someone struggling. With what? Doesn't matter. We are all struggling with something. It doesn't give us an excuse to lash out, but guess what? We do. It's part of our description. Our imperfection. 

 

It's all the more reason to show grace. Bono sings, "are you tough enough to be kind?" Such a brutal question that peels off our soul's skin and asks who am I? Kindness does need toughness. It means doing something we may not want to do, but it's the right thing. Nothing I'm saying is original. I get that. But it bears repeating. Our actions come down to the ripple effect. She needed grace. An honest and brutal reply would not have helped. Will she recognize what I did? Maybe. That's not the point. She may now be inspired to show grace to someone else. I'm guessing that won't be me.

 

I've been telling my students about living with integrity all year long. I explain it's doing the right thing even when no one is looking. If I don't live what I teach, then her email – and all the other ones – becomes truth.


-rg




No comments: