Sunday, March 6, 2022

Almost There

 Slice of Life: Day 6

Today, one thing consumed my life; completing my capstone project for my MA in creative writing. I worked on the project throughout the term, and the final submission had to incorporate significant revisions, including suggestions from peers. So, after spending a few hours adding, deleting, rearranging and reading over (again) the first ten-thousand words of my novel, I’m spent. I don’t have any more to give for today’s Slice of Life, which is one reason I have been doing my slices first thing in the morning.

I will say this: I am six days and one assignment away from completing my program. It has been challenging but an absolute blast – well, not the reading-intensive ones, but the creative-writing-focused ones for sure. It feels good to (almost finish). I needed this. I need to prove to myself I could do it.

Learning wasn’t easy for me growing up, mainly because the teaching profession didn’t consider the multiple styles of learning people inhabit. I love learning now. Especially anything related to writing and publishing. I will not let these last two-and-half years be a waste. I’m headed to the world of publishing, people. It has been a life-long dream…actually, that’s not true. For the first fifteen years of my life, I convinced myself I’d be playing in the Majors one day. It wasn’t until recently I reflected on all the moments that guided me towards a writing career.

Read-alouds (although, sadly, there were only three) and given time to write in my journal were two of the biggest during school hours. At home, when I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, my imagination took shape and launched me on a new trajectory – one that is finally coming to fruition.

To all of you out there that are working towards your dream and the ones living it, I’m proud of you. Thank you for inspiring so many along the way.

“Dream the life. Live the Dream.” -Ryan

P.S. Sorry this wasn't a great slice of life. I'll do better tomorrow.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ryan, this was a wonderful Slice of Life! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on so many things - the completion of your assignment today, being near the end of your program, and accomplishing so much in your life. Your post made me wonder - will one of my students become an author one day? Several are reading "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" now, and your post got me to thinking...how proud I would be if one of my students followed your lead. Thank you for your post, you are inspiring, and I look forward to reading your first novel.