Monday, March 7, 2022

Live Boldly

Slice of Life: Day 7

This is the first time I’m a bit stuck on what to write during our challenge. I couldn’t get my post written in the morning for the second straight day. On Mondays, even though I arrive two hours before contract time (and work during an unpaid lunch), I spend most of my time prepping and purposely overplanning for the day, so it carries into the next day. And then, some days, nothing planned gets done. It’s Mondays like this that make Tuesdays (and Wednesdays) all the better.

I sat down tonight, not knowing what to write, but then I turned my calendar, and the quote of the day says, “Live boldly. Persevere with patience. Never settle.”

I don’t think anyone at my funeral (btw, don’t wear black) would mention this word - unless they are commenting on the flavor of their coffee. If that’s the case, I wonder whose idea it was to serve coffee at a memorial service. I’m okay with that. I mean, why not? Bring some Coke Zero and jellybeans too.

I didn’t live a bold life until the summer of 2019 when, inspired by my sessions with my writing mentor, I decided to go back to school. Then, only two-and-a-half years ago, learning in a classroom frightened me. I had nightmares of horrible professors at Shippensburg standing at a podium, talking nonstop, and expecting us to take a test. On what?! The fact that you are doing everything wrong as a teacher? With all of that making me doubt my abilities as a learner, I took the leap (notice I didn’t say plunge).

With six (Woo-hoo!) more days until my last class (sooner if I get my last assignment in before Sunday), my boldness must continue. Because then it will be time to find an agent – one that will love my stories and fight tooth and nail with publishers. I must be bold and not take the first offer – even though the second one could be a long way away. They must see the potential in my stories, particularly my novel, being suitable for Netflix, Hulu or Amazon.

When it comes down to it, I must persevere with patience. Just like I did for the last two-and-a-half years. I pushed the doubt, the frustration, the stress and anxiety away, sticking to my motto of dreaming out loud. The only other option is a life of complacency. I was not created to settle for what could’ve been, but rather bring stories into the world. To inspire. Maybe one day, someone will read one of my stories, and like me, after reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, will sit down and write their path.

Dream Out Loud,

Ryan

1 comment:

BrockG said...

Your title says it all. Reading your post I hear that passion and boldness in your tone. I can tell that you live boldly. Sharing how hard a person works to conquer their dreams is a great gateway for others to do the same. I hope you enjoy that last class and always remember to live boldly. You have certainly inspired me to!