Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 22: The Miraculous Journey

I had something else in mind to write today, but my 3rd graders changed my mind. This is a good thing because this isn’t going to be a rant about how often I repeat myself or must add the custodian hat to all the other hats we teachers wear daily.

 

Today, I finished the remarkable story, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by the brilliant Kate DiCamillo. After reading the last line, my students erupted with applause – not at my reading skills, but for the story that never wavers from greatness. 

 

Their clapping made me realize I picked the right book, but also, they got it. At eight and nine years old, they appreciated the magnitude of Edward never wanting to be loved, to learning to love to opening his heart again after a series of heartbreaks. 

 

Yes, I coached them and stopped several times for class discussion, but they got more out of it this way. Only three of my teachers read to me my entire school career, and they never once stopped to discuss. Shameful. I shared this sad fact with my class and how I vividly remember those stories - The Indian in the Cupboard, The Wrinkle in Time and Where the Red Fern Grows

 

There are many stopping points as students learn traits such as selfishness, self-centeredness, arrogance, vanity, and empathy. Edward’s character arc is spot-on perfection, and I enjoyed discussing how he changes along the way. I have been telling them all year that a good story must have conflict but must also show how the character is different at the end from the beginning. 

 

Our last discussion was how Edward, as he sat on a store shelf, convinced himself he would never open his heart again. We took a vote to see if they agreed with Edward’s decision or if, by closing his heart, he was missing out on opportunities to feel joy and happiness.

 

When speaking to my class after I finished DiCamillo’s masterpiece, I said I hope they remember the books I read to them. I said hearing those stories is a big reason I became a writer. 

 

We can only hope.

 

My kiddos had library today (after I finished the book), and when I picked them up, I was elated to see every single copy of Edward Tulane checked out and clutched with excitement in their hands. They were so happy to show me. 

 

Thank you, Kate DiCamillo!

 

-rg

 



 

 

3 comments:

Teachingnest87 said...

An amazing book! I teach 2nd grade but I had a student a few years ago who needed enrichment so she and I read this book together. It was one of my most memorable teaching experiences. This student could identify the theme of love throughout the book at age 8. After we finished the book together she checked it out from the library to read on her own.

Suzanne said...

Your post sings to my heart! I taught third grade for 25 years and read chapter book after chapter book to them. Not because I was going to give them an assessment but because of the conversation! I am so thrilled to hear you feel this way too. In my school there weren't many who would do this, they often said they couldn't afford the time taken "from the curriculum". So sad because they just don't get it. I love Edward Tulane and all things Kate DiCamillo. Check out, "The Boy On the Porch". It is slow moving and takes a bit of energy to get to where it is going but it is so worth it. Same with the wonderful Wild Robot books. I miss reading to a class now that I am retired but it feels all good all over again to hear stories from teachers who are still out there doing it!

Unknown said...

This is one of my favourite read aloud books. And even when I have read it many times I still get tears in my eyes. Your kids are lucky to have a teacher who brings beautiful literature into their world.