Saturday, March 26, 2022

Ten Books Worth Looking Into

I need to give myself a little break from writing, so I’m going through my recently borrowed books on Hoopla and Libby (the former is much better). Here are eight fiction books (plus one memoir and one biography) I’ve recently read that I’d recommend to anyone:

·       The Water Keeper by Charles Martin

o   My favorite author whose stories always have a powerful theme of redemption.

·       Cardboard Gods by Josh Wilker

o   Josh tells his story of growing up using baseball cards. Genius idea.

·       Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

o   From Amazon “Accident. Nature. Suicide. Murder.”

·       The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

o   Imagine a library where all the books are different realities. Your realities.

·       Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullally Hunt

o   Great minds don’t think alike.

·       Robin by Dave Itzkoff

o    One of the most extraordinary human beings ever, Robin Williams, suffered from a terrifying disease called Lewes Dementia. A great mind literally deteriorated.

·       The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

o   Hig is one of the very few survivors of a flu pandemic. He and his dog live at an abandoned airport before a sound of hope changes everything.

·       The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart

o   Dan, if you’re reading this, I want to write a screenplay adaptation. Actually, I’ll go ahead and write it, and you tell me what you think. Love this story. A father and daughter on a cross-country adventure…in a school bus. How could you not?

·       When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

o   How did I not know about this book?! I discovered this during one of my MA classes. Clues and time travel. What could be better?

·       Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

o   Um, Netflix? You need to read this!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

amyilene said...

What a great list! I've read a few, heard of one or two others and have added the rest to my "look into" list!

Georgia Austin said...

What a fantastic way to take a break from writing but writing!! I can't wait to try this out.

Unknown said...

Half of these I've read and also loved. Thanks for the pointers to new reading ideas. _Cardboard Gods_ sounds like it'd be right up my alley.

Elisabeth Ellington said...

I'll have to try a couple of books from your list because I've loved the ones I've already read. (The Midnight Library sounds especially intriguing.) I like this idea for a slice--exploring a stack of recent reads.