Monday, March 20, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 20: Hug the You're With

How quickly everything changes. A fellow Slice of Lifer had recently asked me a question about my writing, and I was going to use my response as my daily post. It was a good question forcing me to think about it nonstop for the last few days.

 

Then my phone rang.

 

I saw that it was my brother, and since he and I talk/text often, I didn’t think anything of it. His tone told me it wasn’t good news. His good friend and brother-in-law died from a heart attack as he came home from work today. He was fifty. Needless to say, his family is devastated and needs lots of prayers. 

 

I will keep this short, but I felt it was important to remind you how life changes instantly. No warning. No countdown. 

 

J was a good man with a beautiful family. I know all too well how losing a father feels. It makes me thankful I still had time with my dad during his battle with a brain tumor. Time to love him more than I ever did before.

 

We don’t always have that.

 

Hug the one you’re with,

rg

 

 

4 comments:

onathought.com said...

What a devastating reminder of it all. I'm so sorry for this loss, how terrible.

drferreriblogspot.com said...

You truly have too much on your plate to write tonight; yet, your post and the important reminder it shares, is an important one as you already know. My prayers are with all of you and your extended family as you navigate this new reality.

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I lost my husband last year, my sons lost their dad. I am changed by his loss just as I was changed by his love, bravery, and strength through our years together. Your post and request for prayers hold so much love and meaning. God Bless.

Unknown said...

Suzanne, I am so sorry to hear you lost your husband. It's a lot for the heart to handle. I am wrapping you and your boys in a spiritual hug. I lost my dad about 18 years ago. I'll be working out in the yard and wondering what it would be like to have my dad with me mulching and planting seeds. But I know where he is and I know I'll see him again. You are in my thoughts and prayers. -rg