Sunday, March 19, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 19: Kimo Poetry



On page 14 of most Writer Digest magazines, Robert Lee Brewer shares different forms of poetry. In a recent issue, he teaches about the kimo – an Israeli variant of the Japanese haiku.

 

Guidelines:

-       Three lines (10 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second and 6 in the third)

-       No rhymes

-       Does not have to be about nature

-       Focused on one image (so, not much movement)

-       Enjambment is a popular tool (continuation of a sentence from one line to the next)

 

While I enjoy free verse, I welcome the challenge of rules certain forms require. Here are my three attempts:

 

Old Farm Lane

farm post, hands folded, perched – mind and eyes drift

a salient memory

usurped into the past

 

The Hallway

time abducted under tick tick ticking

of grandfather clock; echoes

forlornly undulate

 

On the Mound

removes hat, wipes away sweat beads from brow

pounds glove prepares for staredown 

nerves are fettered within

 

r.s. graybill 



5 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

I love learning about new poetry forms and the challenge of a syllable count. Thanks for sharing your model poems. Some good word choices as well...undulate, fettered...

Heidi said...

I have never heard of Kimi poetry or Writers Digest magazine. Thanks for sharing this new to me format. I agree with Margaret about your word choice. Thanks for sharing. Heidi (Wordsmithing blog)

Glenda Funk said...

Writer’s Digest is such a wealth of resources. I really like the limo form. Your first poem is my favorite among the three. I like the way it clarifies and defines.

Teachingnest87 said...

Thanks for sharing this form of poetry. It's new to me.Your last poem brought back memories of my son's baseball playing days.

Suzanne said...

I enjoyed comparing the "rules" for Kimi poem to what you created. I could see and feel the beauty in the stillness the poems embraced. Thanks for sharing.