Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 29: Rules for Writing (and Life): 001


Anne Helmstadter's, 
The Story Immersion Project, is one of my many email subscriptions. Her post today mentions writer Malcolm Gladwell.  His name didn't ring a bell – I'm not good with names - but  I read his David and Goliath - a phenomenal book.

Gladwell has a list of 10 writing rules. In her post, Anne said they aren't only about writing but to live by as well.

Here are three from his list (I'll save the others for future posts) with some of my thoughts:

            Pursue your passion.

Whether your passion is writing, walking or doing yard work (They're mine!), carve time to do them. Spend time with people who encourage you but also keep you accountable. There's a reason you are passionate about certain things. It's a spiritual seed planted in your soul. You are meant to do it!

Understand passions don't always come easy. One of my passions is my family. Nothing is more important to me. It is not easy raising three teenagers, but I'm not giving up.

P.S. And there is nothing easy about writing a novel. I'm giving up on that, either.

Shift your thinking.

Oiy. This could be difficult no matter which side of the line you fall on politically. I will steer clear of that debacle and gear it toward writing.

One thing writers must, must, must do is have humility. I cannot express this enough. If you are unwilling to listen to (and often apply) someone's suggestions (especially if they are an experienced writer), you have already failed. Sorry but it's true. Whether writing or not, your goal should be to submit your best work. This will NOT happen if you aren't willing to heed the advice of others. Will their critiques be difficult to hear? Absolutely. Suck it up, Buttercup. I say that with love.

Focus on quality, not speed.

Speed is okay to stretch your writing muscles or defeat so-called writer's block. Recently I set a timer for three minutes and typed the entire time. Quality work? Nope. But it made me curious if it were a literary world I'd like to explore further. Perfection isn't a priority or the point in an exercise like this. Quality matters when you're writing a novel or short story. It takes time. As much as you love your first draft, it's not good enough. Not even close. Again, with love.

Until Next Time,

rg


 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the first tip, pursue your passion. I agree with you. Our passions are spiritual seeds. When we pursue them, we feel fulfilled. When we feel fulfilled, me give more to the world. When we give more to the world, others feel inspired and give more to the world, too.

Suzanne said...

I like how you took the points being made by Gladwell and applied them to how and where they speak to you, to your life. I love that no matter how many times we read important reminders (like, follow your passion) each time it is still an "aha!" moment.