Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 28: Observation of the Senses


I HEAR conversations from the kitchen. Older daughter showing patience with youngest daughter as she instructs on how to handwash pots and pans – something that has been a struggle to get her (the youngest) to do. Now, arguing and fussing and smart mouth back-talk as I tell her not to worry about where her other sister is. Youngest sings Taylor Swift. Changing the lyrics? Not sure. Oldest is coughing. Seems like she’s been coughing for two years. Youngest has cooled her jets and, I hope, is finally finishing her simple task – yet, to her, I’m sure it feels torturous.

 

Well, I SEE, my computer screen in front of me, which is hot-to-the-touch with all the Slices of Life I’ve been doing. I’m excited to wrap up March and get back to my novels. My AirPods are to my left. I had them in after school when I immediately went out back to work in the yard. To my right is my guitar. I don’t have a case or a stand for it. I have had this for over twenty years and have played less than fifteen minutes. But that is going to change. I will not have it as another object in my office – although it does add a nice touch.

 

I TASTE meat from spaghetti sauce between my teeth. Food ALWAYS gets stuck in my teeth. But I floss every night. I had some macaroni salad after school, and while it was delicious, it lingers in my throat, which takes a couple of fierce back-of-the-tongue brushings to get rid of.

 

UPDATE on HEARING…my cat just walked into my office mewing - no doubt wanting my lap. Maybe she was a lap dancer in a previous life. She always wants a lap. Good grief.

 

I FEEL circulation cutting off from the way I’m sitting. My nine-month battle with plantar fasciitis continues. Maybe I’ll make an appointment over spring break. I don’t feel it yet, but my back will be sore in the morning after hauling several five-gallon buckets of rock. The tip of my index finger is swollen and sore. From pulling so many weeds? Who knows? Good thing I’m not a hypochondriac.

 

Hope I don’t wake up dead :/

 

HEARING UPDATE: My office is adjacent to the laundry room. With the fuss of after-dinner over, I can hear my latest load of wash circling in the dryer.

 

I SMELL body wash. I took a quick shower…why do I say “quick”? My showers are always quick. I spritzed some cologne on too. There was no need to do this, seeing that the rest of my evening (post Slice of Life) is watching TV with my wife. Creed is the name—a gift from a student.

 

I hope you all are well.

 

-rg




No comments: