Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Talking to Myself: Part 3


Slice of Life: Day 22

Here we are, part three. How have things been since we last talked?

I finished my last class for my MA in creative writing last week. I won’t lie; it was a bit emotional turning in my final assignments. I later found out I had a perfect thousand points for the class and my cap and gown arrived over the weekend. I’m all ready for my virtual graduation.


Virtual?

I considered making the eight-hour drive to SNHU, and I suppose I still could, but it’s quite the undertaking, especially when driving isn’t my favorite thing to do.

Any reason?

I just know how quickly life can change. Or end. Some people believe when accidents and such happen, there’s a reason for it. Prime example of spiritually immature thinking. There are positive things in all situations, but there isn’t a reason for the bad things. God doesn’t kill us in car accidents or end our lives with brain tumors. It’s how earthly life comes. It’s the way it is. What about incest, murder and rape? You’re telling me an all-loving God makes that happen?

I’m not telling you. I mean, I am, because I’m you, but…well, nevermind. Anything else, or do you need a breather?

It’s been seven days since the admin at my school learned I completed my MA. Seven days and they haven’t said a single word to acknowledge it.

That’s horrible. And they are supposed to be the leaders and catalysts for building community.

Supposed to be, yes. I’m ready for a question now.

I was hoping you’d say that. What makes you smile?

Pass.

No.

No, what?

You aren’t getting out of answering it. I’ll cut you a break, though. I was going to ask you to list ten things, but how about you just name as many as you can?

Fine. As much as TimeHop makes me sad, seeing my girls from years ago brings a smile to my face. I love talking and being silly with my niece and nephew. Students making me heartfelt cards or pictures or bringing in a random gift like jellybeans is pretty special. I have a student from a couple of years ago who often reminds me I’m still her favorite teacher. When writing, there are times I’m in the groove, and I’m amazed at the ideas that come out sometimes. I’m sure there’s something wrong with me since I can’t think of anything else.

Yes, there is. But I have no idea what.

Thanks.

I think that was five, and maybe there are things that you don’t necessarily smile about, but you express joy.

Watching my oldest play basketball is an example of that. I get pretty loud when she scores.

Who’s your most dangerous enemy?

You.

Me?

Yes. You’re the one that decides to be disciplined and write. You’re the one that chooses not to forgive yourself for stupid things.

Doesn’t Satan play a role in that, too?

Of course, but he only tempts. You are the one the ultimately decides.

He is powerful, though.

Incredibly so. Spiritual warfare is no joke. It takes the wind out of your sails. Taking the joy with it.

Do you want to go deeper into that right now?

Not now.

One more question. Where do you live?

I have a feeling this is a more layered question than it sounds.

You would be correct.

One of my favorite places to live in within my novel, Grace Leads Home. With each revision, the people and the world become more alive. Real. Narnia was like that. I felt I was walking through the wardrobe. Loved it. I want nothing more to have my readers feel the same when they are with Riley, Daulton and Kerry.

Your protagonists?

Yes, they all come from some broken life, and their friendship is the heart of childhood.

Then their lives get a bit crazy.

They discover an old cabin in the middle of the woods, which turns out to be the catalyst for their alternate world adventures. Their lives are changed forever.

I can’t wait to hear more about it.

And I can’t wait to continue my revision and get an agent.

It’ll happen.

Amen to that.

 



 

 

No comments: