Monday, March 13, 2023

Slice of Life: Day 13: 4x4 Writing Exercise

3 Reasons Writing Is Great for Your Mental Health

Picture From Getty Images

I got this idea from fellow slicer Jennifer Floyd. The goal is to focus on objects within four feet of where you're sitting. I told Jennifer I liked the idea, and if you sit somewhere different every day, you'll never run out of ideas. I can't say I'm a firm believer in writer's block, but next time I seem to have it, I think I'll use this. Sitting surrounded by my eclectic constituent collectibles in my office, I don't see myself needing to change location anytime soon.   


It's almost overwhelming deciding where to begin. Almost.

 

Item #1: My stack of Phillies books. One is about Harry Kalas, who, along with Vin Scully, is the best sports broadcaster ever. I fondly remember going to Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, our homemade popcorn in a brown grocery bag in hand - constellations of butter stains collecting on the bottom. You could bring anything to the ballpark in those days. I remember hearing the crack of the bat and thinking every ball was going to leave the park.

 

Item #2: My Yeti water bottle – a groomsman gift from my youngest brother. It's all I've used for two years. Printed on the front in fancy silver letters are my initials, RSG. On the back, which made my throat tighten, are some of the greatest lyrics ever written, "and you can dream, so dream out loud." Bono's words, ever since 1991, have nested in my soul. Then, they were words inspiring me to become a writer. Today, it's not only a mantra but also my personal hymn elevating me, reminding me I have a purpose.

 

Item #3: My 1994 yearbook. Senior year. On page 26, the 3rd row down is a picture of my friend Matt Killinger. Matt loved Garfield. Every time I see that lasagna-loving orange cat, I think of my friend, who I loved joking around with. 

 

Matt died way too young. He was 29 when he lost his battle with leukemia. One of my biggest regrets was not connecting with him after graduation. With all the technology, it would've been easier today, but I still had a phone. I never called. 

 

It makes what he wrote in my yearbook all the more touching: Ryan, I'm not gonna be real sorry to say goodbye to Pequea Valley, but I will be sorry to say goodbye to you until our reunion. I can't wait to see you then. Until then, may all your dreams and wishes come true, and may the best of luck follow you everywhere you go. – Matt P.S. I'll never forget Williamsburg, or the night we stayed overnight.

 

I invited some friends over to spend the night for one of my birthdays in middle school. Thankfully, I had gotten to know Matt around that time. It was a no-brainer to invite him. I remember watching Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. Sadly, I don't remember anything else. Although, I'm sure we laughed a lot. Like we did on our Williamsburg trip when we, along with my best friend Troy, spent all weekend quoting Back to the Future II. "Mom? Mom, is that you?"

 

I miss you, Matt.

 

Item #4: Yoda. The great sage. I have several Star Wars memorabilia in my office. Yoda, this particular one, stands three inches high, and he's to the left of my computer, hands out in front, resting on his stick. Watching. Staring. Telling me, “There is no try.” Amazing how wise he looks despite the droopy eyes. One of my eyelids doesn't open quite as far as the other, so, in pictures, it looks like I stuck a wet toe into an outlet. Not wise-looking at all. 

 

I hope to be a sage one day. My Instagram bio says, “sage in training.” Always learning. I’d like to know enough about writing to be an author/motivational speaker. I need to sell some books first. Until then, I’ll do everything possible to make Matt’s yearbook signing come true.


-rg




2 comments:

Ellen said...

First - what a great idea. I will remember the 4x4 - thanks for sharing. Second - your share such powerful memories associated with each item - your reflection on your 1994 yearbook and friend really struck a chord. Love the thread through the whole post that affirms you and your goals.

Ms Chiu said...

I agree with Ellen. So many heartfelt memories hiding within four feet. Thank you for sharing them and this format.