Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Talking to Myself: Part 4


I’m sorry to say this will be our last time talking with each other.

Is it really, though? I mean, if you think about it, we spend a lot of time talking with one another.

You’re right, which reminds me how you need to work on your self-talk.

Why do you say that?

You call yourself stupid when you mess up.

Well, thankfully, I don’t mess up often.

Not funny.

It’s a little funny.

No.

You’re right. I do. But why do you care?

When you call yourself stupid, you’re calling me stupid.

I keep forgetting that.

Ready for my first question?

Go for it.

Do you think you’re strong?

Hmmm. I definitely have strong opinions.

For example?

Too many Christians don’t know how to read the Bible. What makes it worse, they don’t have the leadership, guidance and tools to teach them. For example, Jesus, many times, spoke hyperbolically when speaking with people. Do you really think heaven has streets of gold?! Are you telling me the most creative being in the universe would pave roads with gold? Please. How tacky is that?! He spoke to people who couldn’t fathom what heaven actually looks like, so he had to give them something they could understand.

Any books you would recommend?

Absolutely. Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes. Genius.

How about in other ways? Do you feel you’re strong with other things?

When I put my mind to something, I get things done. I lost forty pounds and kept it off for five years – some fluctuating with holidays. I get my daily steps in. I finished my MA program, and I am part of an amazing Slice of Life challenge that has pushed me creatively.

What are some things you wish you could set your mind to?

Playing guitar, piano, working on negative comments. I hate that I raise my voice so much. I put a lot of things off.

Me too.

Don’t get me started on what you need to work on.

Understood.

I think we can both agree we wish we were more easy-going. It’s hard not to envy people like that and how they roll with the punches; nothing bothers them. Too many things irritate me.

Maybe there’s a reason you are getting emotional about certain things. Being passive isn’t always good. Just turn the irritation into something more positive, productive.

Good point.

Last question. What is the best thing that could happen to you right now?

Easy. Money. Having enough money to walk away from teaching, buy safer cars, upgrade the entire house, take the family on vacation, pay off all debt, and still have enough for savings would be wonderful. Doesn’t renovating an old barn and turning it into a homeless shelter sound great? I’d love to buy Camp Donegal too. For now, I’ll be grateful to make it to the next paycheck – try to be as much of a light to others as possible.

Oh, I miss Camp Donegal, and yes, the barn for the homeless sounds amazing. I think great things will happen.

Me too, but –

No. I won’t allow you to say that. It will. Say it.

Great things will happen. End of story.

And end of interview.

 

 

No comments: