Monday, March 28, 2022

Very Random

1)  Is it weird I still get excited by the dentist saying "no cavities"?

·  2) The cup being half empty is the optimistic viewpoint. If your goal is to consume the entire glass of water, you are halfway to completing your goal. That's a good thing.

·   3) On my way home from the dentist, I passed Kurtz Drive. This made me think about my sixth-grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Kurtz. I loved Mrs. Kurtz. If for no other reason, I enjoyed her class because she gave me time to write. In fact, she wrote my first rejection letter for my (cough) amazing story called "Fight for Your Right." Here's an original snippet:

 It all started in about the winter of 1981 when I was going in to town to buy a few things to snack on. On the way to the store I heard a loud bang. I walked over and looked to see what it was. It was a young boy who knoked down a trash barrel. He was about a year or two younger than me. I walked over and said "looking for anything." The boy turned around and said Uh. I saw then that the boy probably was lost for a long period of time because his clothes were all ripped and it was in the middle of the winter. I asked the boy if he was lost and he just ran away. I followed him and I ended up at a big box where lay a couple of smelly blankets. Then the boy said no but my parents left me here and forgot all about me like two years ago.

I was so proud of my story, which went on, unluckily for her, for several more pages. I asked her if it was good enough to get published. Her response was kind, but I'm sure she got a good laugh (or eye roll) out of my delusions of grandeur.

·    4) I find it ironic that Nicholas Cage is starring in a movie called, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

·    5) Growing up, our trashcans did not have wheels. Did anyone's? My older brother had the brilliant idea of putting them on skateboards and rolling them out to the end of the drive. Is it too late to get a patent for wheeled trashcans? I could use the money.

·    6) I once tried pushing down on one end of the skateboard to make it pop up as Marty McFly did in Back to the Future. It popped alright. Right into my chin.

·    7) I was pulling a lot of weeds on Saturday. I met a snake. Then the snake met my spade. I don't like snakes. I slept well that night.

·    8) My dad has been in a lot of my dreams lately. He and I are always in a car, and I'm always sitting behind him, so I can't see his face. In one, we were chasing or outrunning a tornado. After that, I handed him my plate while he was switching lanes – I know, weird. The most recent one had him teaching me to use the emergency brake to turn around really fast. I don't know what to make of those dreams, but it's good to hang out with my dad again.

2 comments:

Melanie White said...

This curious and original slice really caught my attention. There is a complexity woven into each of the "random" thoughts, the humour, the truth, honestly told using a list of not-really-random ideas.

I love this line: "I was pulling a lot of weeds on Saturday. I met a snake. Then the snake met my spade. I don't like snakes. I slept well that night."

Rita said...

I love your post! I am glad that there is someone else who has these kinds of random thought! 😂 No cavities-woohoo! I’ve been dreaming about my dad a lot lately; he’s been gone 26 years. I am trying to find a message in my dreams. Maybe I should just enjoy them!